Photo Journal

Annoying the children, one day at a time.

My precious... soft drinks?

Saturday, October 25, 2003 -- Zach and I hit the library in Beeville this afternoon. He was in a hurry to attend the elementary Fall Festival at the school so I didn't have much time to do my research. I could find no reference to Skidmore's 1899 fire in the microfilmed Beeville Picayunes. I can only assume that the date I found written on a photo is incorrect, I somehow missed it on the microfilm, or the Beep-Pic just failed to report on the story (unlikely). Despite his concerns, Zach and I made to the Fall Festival in plenty of time for him to win nine 3 liter soft drinks in what has become an annual "ring toss" ritual. At one point, I feared for our lives as a violent storm blew through. Lightning thundered, hail fell, and the wind blew so hard that people were actually running through the front door to take shelter. The weather finally calmed down enough for Zach and I to lug his winnings to the car through pouring rain. Back at the house, he lined up the various soft drink bottles in the order in which he planned to consume them. "I'm drinking all of these. Nobody else gets to have them" he said very Golum-like. After changing into dry clothes, we headed back for the High School portion of the Fall Festival. Zach played Bingo while I attended the two plays being presented by the drama department. They were pretty entertaining for reasons that weren't always related to the quality of writing or performance. Zach had no luck in the cake walk so finally just paid some kid four dollars for a cake and we called it a night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home