Photo Journal

Annoying the children, one day at a time.

That's not right.

Saturday, November 22, 2003 -- Aunt Angie had us all up at the crack of dawn for breakfast. I can't say I complained although I'm afraid I'm going to gain 10 pounds over the weekend. Lunch consisted of King Ranch Chicken, beans, cornbread, more tamales, and another dish I was too groggy to recall. We watched the beginning of the Texas Tech game (I think they were playing Oklahoma) before heading out for an afternoon of hunting. Just before dark, Zach managed to bag himself a nice buck antelope. Despite Zach's near perfect head-shot, uncle Johnny had to finish the poor animal off with his 22 pistol. The details to follow were too gruesome to go into in much detail. "Now that's disturbing" I said as I joined Johnny and the boys at the scene of the crime. Uncle Johnny field-dressed the animal right where it fell and gave Zach a lesson in the harsh realities of life by making him reach in and pull the internal organs from the still steaming carcass. With the antelope successfully gutted and loaded into the back of the truck, Johnny and the boys washed the blood from their hands at the nearby windmill. There was a brief debate at the windmill over "what kind of dead bird is that?" before we headed back to the house. Uncle Johnny's barbecue brisket turned out to bit undercooked but Angie finished it off in the oven in time for dinner. Since Zach already had a nice trophy buck, Johnny decided to let Josh do all the hunting this evening. In the end, Joshua killed two small antelope before we called it a night. Zach was upset about not getting another chance to hunt but eventually got over it. "It's not MY fault Joshua can't shoot straight!" We spent the remainder of night sitting around the living room pointing out the various shortcomings of family members not present.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home