Nawlins Bound
Thursday, August 26, 2004 -- My nephew Garrett's bachelor party is scheduled for Friday and Saturday in New Orleans. I got a jump on the rest of the revelers by driving straight into New Orleans shortly after lunch today. A couple of wrong turns, a tire change, one traffic jam, and 10 hours later I arrived in New Orleans where I promptly added another wrong turn to the total. I eventually located the hotel (New Orleans historical district sign ordinances do not allow hotels to put up a sign that's actually visible from the street) and, after parking my car 5 blocks away at Harrah's casino, settled in for the night. But, not before a quick tour of Bourbon street which was conveniently located about a block away. I must be getting old because the sights and smells - no, odors is a more appropriate word - of Bourbon street left me feeling a bit like the character "Monk" from the TV show of the same name. On the upside, I was able to relocate two of the restaurants (Acme Oyster House and Penelope's) I enjoyed during my last trip to New Orleans which was, by the way, cut short by an approaching hurricane. My midnight foray ended with a single warm beer purchased from a crusty street vendor and a two "Krystal" bacon cheeseburgers.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home