Watching from the sideliness
Friday, November 28, 2007 -- Josh and Zach tried to talk the coaches into letting them play this evening, but, true to their word, they were off the team. I called everyone in the family to let them know there was no point in going to the game if they were only going to see the boys play.
Cathi is very upset with the coaches. I am upset with the boys for not telling us about the coaches' ultimatum. On the other hand, it is hard to blame them for wanting to go to Thanksgiving and I agree that mandatory practice on a national holiday is flat out wrong. When the boys signed up for football, I was comfortable placing them under the authority of the S-T ISD coaching staff. I did not expect that authority to rise to the level of affecting the vacation plans of our entire family.
After researching the issue a bit further, it turns out Thanksgiving day practice is common among high school football playoff teams. The fact that everyone does it, however, does not make it right. If you agree that mandatory practice on Thankgiving day is wrong, Suggest a rule change through UIL.
Surprisingly, the boys still wanted to attend the game so we watched from the sidelines. Skidmore's loss to Stockdale made Josh and Zach's suspension from the team permanent - a sad end to a long season.
Cathi is very upset with the coaches. I am upset with the boys for not telling us about the coaches' ultimatum. On the other hand, it is hard to blame them for wanting to go to Thanksgiving and I agree that mandatory practice on a national holiday is flat out wrong. When the boys signed up for football, I was comfortable placing them under the authority of the S-T ISD coaching staff. I did not expect that authority to rise to the level of affecting the vacation plans of our entire family.
After researching the issue a bit further, it turns out Thanksgiving day practice is common among high school football playoff teams. The fact that everyone does it, however, does not make it right. If you agree that mandatory practice on Thankgiving day is wrong, Suggest a rule change through UIL.
Surprisingly, the boys still wanted to attend the game so we watched from the sidelines. Skidmore's loss to Stockdale made Josh and Zach's suspension from the team permanent - a sad end to a long season.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home