Photo Journal

Annoying the children, one day at a time.

Bee Box

Thursday, July 31, 2008 -- I finished up my latest DIY project this afternoon. It's the first section of a bee hive. Some french guy named Emile Warre (wa-ray) did a lot of research back at the turn of the century and came up with a more bee-friendly hive design that is easier to build and maintain than traditional hives. Here's a website that shows the complete hive design and tells a bit of its history. Once I find some bees, I plan to build the "second story" box and add the roof. The plans also include a layer of permeable insulation below the hive roof but I don't think that will be necessary until we start getting cold weather and the possibility of condensation within the hive. If this project is successful, I may try an even simpler Top Bar Hive.

I ran into Cecil Boales at the cafe this afternoon and he said bees would move into a hive voluntarily if you left a little sugar water our for them. So, now the box is out at the garden with a cup of flat Coca-Cola. Hope I don't get killer bees.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wanda said...

That is really neat! Good luck with it. We used to get swarms of bees at the church every year. If by some chance we get any, any time soon, I'll let you know. Now I'm not sure what time of year they swarm, or if it even goes by seasons. I hope you post an update if anything develops.

8/4/08, 1:04 AM  
Blogger Keith said...

After baiting the box with Coca Cola, then RC Cola, to no effect, I'm beginning to think I may have to go the swarm route. I'll update the ol' blog if any bees show up.

8/8/08, 12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home