Tomatoes love Carrots

Saturday, January 3rd, 2009 -- My little garden is finally starting to flourish. It consists primarily of tomatoes, beets, garlic, onions, spinach, broccoli, and several varieties of carrots. This is the first time I've tried "companion planting" in large square beds. The idea is that certain plant combinations are beneficial to each other. The garlic and onions are supposed to help deter certain insects. Even so, cucumber beetles are doing some damage at the moment. Ronnie and I discussed brewing up some organic pest control "teas" using garlic, peppers, and my otherwise useless backyard sour oranges.


2 Comments:
It looks great! Are you serious about the sour oranges? I'd love to find a use for them. I wasn't brave enough to taste them when Garrett, Andrew and Samantha did recently. *shudder*
I've tried using sour oranges for lemonade - not bad but probably best mixed with other juices. According to google, they are also good for making marmalade: http://www.recipesource.com/side-dishes/jams/sour-orange-marmalade1.html
For use as an insecticide spray, it looks like you just add orange peels to water and soak, boil, and strain.
Post a Comment
<< Home